NY1 anchors Errol Louis and John Schiumo
Don’t exhale…instead now should be your opportunity to seek out an internship. We live, work and study in the media capital of the universe, so opportunities abound. And CCNY students, who aren’t limited to summer internships, have secured positions in the spring and fall at ABC, CBS, NY1, CNN, Sports Illustrated, Hearst Magazines, Sirius Radio, Vibe and many other prominent media outlets. (FYI: Any unpaid intern can receive academic credit; Professor Appelbaum can put that in place once you’ve been hired for an internship.)
Look at this listing from NY1; jump on it! A number of students who have interned at NY1 have been hired later — and have moved on to companies like ABC and CNN. For more information and resources about internships, click here.
NY1: all 2016 Internships
ABOUT TIME WARNER CABLE NY1 NEWS
On September 8, 1992, a new form of media – NY1 News – was launched. NY1 is a 24-hour news channel, serving New York City’s five boroughs, parts of Westchester and Hudson Valley. Available exclusively to more than 2 million cable subscribers on Channel 1 on Time Warner Cable systems, NY1 covers the city with more than 40 full-time reporters and is completely dedicated to New York City news and information.
NY1 expanded into New York City’s Latino community by launching the city’s first 24-hour Spanish-language news channel, NY1 Noticias in June 2003. The channel is available on Time Warner Cable’s DTV channel 801.
Since its inception, NY1 News has become an indispensable community asset and is now the model for cable news channels nationwide. By combining innovative technology with a strong commitment to reporting, NY1 presents viewers with the most comprehensive New York City news, sports, weather, business and features.
For New Yorkers, New York 1 is the only local news worth watching.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM SUMMARY
We offer opportunities to students who are motivated and eager to learn about and gain valuable experience in the broadcast environment. The following departments are looking for interns who will help plan, execute and coordinate various aspects of news media.
News Internships (same application for News, Features & Sports)
- General News: Interns will work with assignment editors, photographers and news producers as they gather, research, write and produce the local news of the day. This internship is split between work in the field and the newsroom.
- Local Edition: Interns will work with NY1’s Queens and Staten Island reporters, anchors and researchers to produce local stories. These positions offer a mix of time in the newsroom and in the field.
- Political Unit: Interns will work with the political team (producers, reporters and writers) to produce NY1’s nightly political program Inside City Hall. Candidates with knowledge of local and national politics and government are preferred.
- Education: Intern will work with NY1’s Education Reporter helping to write, research, and produce local education stories. Candidates with knowledge of educational policy and city government are preferred.
- Transit: Intern will work with NY1’s Transit Reporter helping to write, research and produce stories about the city’s transit system. Candidates with knowledge of the transit system are preferred.
- Health: Intern will work with NY1’s Health Reporter helping to write, research, and produce local and national health stories. Candidates with knowledge/interest in health policy are preferred. Our health reporter focuses on medical research/health policy reporting – and not fitness/diet trends (our Healthy Living segment includes these aspects. See our Feature Internships)
- NY1.com: Intern will work with the New Media team to write headlines, develop content, edit copy and create multimedia stories. There will also be opportunities to get hands-on experience creating photos and video for web and use social media tools like Twitter and Facebook to reach out to our viewers.
- NY1 Noticias: Interns will work with NY1 Noticias’ reporters, producers and writers to produce the content on our Spanish language news channel. These positions offer a mix of time in the newsroom and in the field. Must be fully bi-lingual (writing and speaking).
- NY1 Noticias Pura Política: Interns will work with the Pura Política anchor and producer. They would be exposed to everything that goes into producing a weekly political talk show. Must be bi-lingual.
- The Call: Interns will have the opportunity to participate in editorial decisions for our live nightly call-in show; screen, log, and edit the interviews into sound bites; edit video clips; sort anchor scripts, and run TelePrompter from the control room during live production.
FEATURES & SPORTS INTERNSHIPS (same application for News, Features & Sports)
- Living Unit: Interns will work with reporters and producers who research, shoot and write NY1’s feature reports (including Arts, Healthy Living, On Stage, Technology Report and Money Matters) and long-form special programming.
- One on One with Budd Mishkin: Interns will work with Budd Mishkin and his producer as they research, shoot and assemble long-form profiles of prominent New Yorkers.
- Sports: Interns will log sporting events, edit highlights, assist in the control room during live shows, attend sporting events and assist shooters in the field.
- Video Editing: Interns will shadow video editors learning every angle of the job. Depending on skill level, interns may have the opportunity to edit reporter packages for air.
- Technical Operations: Interns will mix audio, set up studio sets, operate robotic cameras and still store, call up teleprompter scripts, and provide lighting support.
- ENG: Interns will work with the ENG Assistants to organize and maintain the cameras and other support gear for the field crews. They will also occasionally work to support field crews and live trucks on remote shoots.
- Engineering: Interns will work with engineers on upgrades, installations and maintenance of broadcast equipment and software (including production control rooms, edit suites and master controls.) Interns will also help engineering staff document changes made on any transmission path. Candidates with knowledge of IT and Systems Integrations preferred.
- Creative Services (promotions/marketing/public relations): Interns will assist producers with production of promotions, screen promotion footage and graphic elements and occasionally accompany producers on shoots. Interns will also work on the NY1 Community Calendar and assist with clerical duties as needed.
Candidates for all internships MUST:
• Receive academic credit. (This is an UNPAID INTERNSHIP.)
• Have strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication skills, leadership and organizational abilities.
• Maintain a professional appearance, be enthusiastic and have a demonstrated interest in the industry. • Be able to commit to 16-20 hours per week.
Coursework or previous internship experience in communications, journalism or related field is preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested students can follow the links above or go to Jobs.TimeWarnerCable.com and search “NY1 Intern”. To be considered applicants MUST list the position or positions they are interested in obtaining and rationale for selecting this/these area(s) in a cover letter which should be uploaded as part of the SAME DOCUMENT as their resume.
Time Warner Cable supports a drug-free environment and is EOE M/F/V/D
Go Green! Print this email only when necessary. Thank you for helping Time Warner Cable be environmentally responsible.
This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.
Linda Villarosa <email@example.com>
|4:45 pm (2 days ago)
Time to apply….
||Click here to Reply, Reply to all, or Forward
13.81 GB (92%) of 15 GB used
Terms – Privacy
Last account activity: 35 minutes ago